Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Ever had someone make you feel small?


 

I told you that this blog would be a mirror of my own experiences, and I really felt that if any day was a good mood to blog about something, it was today.

Today, I had someone make me feel very small and insecure. She belittled me in front of other friends and I felt microscopic in size, whereas she probably thought she'd made herself look really clever.

The fact of the matter is that it is never okay to belittle anyone or make them feel small.

It doesn't make you a bigger person.

In my experience, the girl in question made a fickle reference to how many subjects I was studying at school, compared to her, which is less.

I already feel insecure about this because I wouldn't want people to think of me as dumb, or stupid, or not able enough to do more subjects; I am just choosing the subjects to study which I love and will take me where I want to go in life.

This girl obviously thought that making a comparison between us would make her look more intelligent, when in fact it just rendered the people around us silent and it was very awkward.
In light of this, I'm going to offer you some simple advice as to how to deal with being belittled (which I've had my fair share of):
 
1
The first and best thing you can do is calm your nerves. It can be very difficult when someone has wound you up, but I promise you it's much better than hyperventilating and going into a craze. Just focus on your breathing and keep your muscles relaxed.  
2
Secondly, just rise above it. As simple as that. Let your mantra of this moment be 'I'm better than this'. Be the bigger person, because in my experience, biting back doesn't exactly help either.

3
Finally, don't let them see that it bothers you. Try not to talk about it and provide gossip, if it was in front of others, chances are they picked up on it too and are aware. Keep it to yourself and close the (metaphorical) door in your mind on it. Keep telling yourself 'I won't let this ruin my day' or 'Today will be a great day.'
I hope this helps some of you!
Lots of love
 

No comments:

Post a Comment